SOCIAL MEDIA

December 3, 2017

How To Stay Intentional During the Holiday Season | Advent 2017


Happy First Sunday of Advent!
Today I wanted to share my heart with you all because this little blog is a place that I want you to be able to come and just hear truth and be inspired whether it's about being an authentic #LADYBOSS or my favorite devotionals.
This time of year can be CRAZY between holiday parties, travels, finals (shout-out to my college gals), lists upon lists of things to do and buy, and sometimes between all these fun good things we can forget to take time to slow down and remember the greatest good of all, The Reason for the Season. I know for me it's SO easy to get to December 25th and realize that I never stopped during these past four weeks to prepare my heart for this sacred season!
Advent is a whole lot more than waiting for Christmas, Advent is a whole lot more than preparing for Christmas — Advent is ultimately about preparing the way for the Light of Christ in a world dying for light.
...This is a season to look for the light, to be the light, to be a Light Poker, poking holes in the dark and stoking an ardent flame of light — and to actually: live light.
The brilliant are always the ones who simply live like light. - AnnVoskamp 


Listen to truth.
Whether your jam is worship music, podcasts, audiobooks or a radio station, find something where you can hear truth and let just let that peace of God's presence seep into you. St. Augustine said that singing is praying twice...Turn it on while you are doing mindless tasks, working out, or driving. 

My Advent Plan: I absolutely love creating playlists, so of course my Advent Spotify will be on repeat this season. Also, I like to include in my devotion time or when I'm getting ready in the morning, a good podcast. Some favorites are: Everyday Life with Lysa Terkeurst, Joyce Meyer Radio - Enjoying Everyday Life, Leah Darrow - Do something Beautiful, Abiding Together with Lisa Brenninkmeyer, Joel Osteen Podcast, The Love Good with Jimmy Mitchell

Start with scripture.
During the holiday season, before your day gets away from you or before you fall asleep, spend 5-15 minutes in the Word. If you already struggle to set time aside to read the bible, use this season to get creative with how you choose to read the Word. Whether it's playing an audio version of the Bible, praying with a directed devotional or maybe even get a small group of friends together to do an Advent study. 

My Advent Plan: This year, I am doing a study with She Reads Truth and it begins today!! I absolutely love how easy it is to use the SRT app + it's just plain gorgeous. I would love to journey along this Advent season with you, so go download the SRT app and then purchase the Advent 2017 study for $1.99! Message me on IG or comment here letting me know if you are joining! 

Image via: She Reads Truth

Be intentional. 
It's easy to say yes to everything during the holiday's because everything is just so magical, but sometimes saying yes can cause more stress than joy. In the next couple days, set some time aside to determine your holiday priorities and say no to the things that will take away your peace and focus this season. Choose the three to five things that are most important to you relationally and spiritually for the holidays.

My Advent Plan: This Advent season will be like a launchpad for 2018 in many ways, but one is the resolve to practice intentionality and balance. Intentionality with my time and then balance where I am intentional. This is not only applicable to my physical efforts, but also to my thought process. Being a Type A personality and having a brain that never shuts off, this is something that I feel really strong about and actually is a healthy habit for me to further develop. I want to take this holy season to be intentional with my thoughts which means sometimes shutting the think tank off and just letting my thoughts sit in silence and gratitude. I am always so thankful for these "still" moments because it's really in those times where I find all my creativity and peace of mind.

This Advent, let's leave space for quiet and reflection, for prayer and praise—and seek closeness with Christ, which is the greatest gift of all.

Post a Comment